I might have mentioned in a recent post how anxious I was feeling about money...all these big expenditures we have right now is making me panic a bit. We had several huge car repair bills, still have a few to pay and car service coming up, Martin's graduation party, our tickets to the US, driving school, plus some busted appliances ...EEK.
BUT! Things have eased a little bit, at least. After perusing several catering options for Martin's party, we found a good one in a nearby village, recommended by one of Anders' colleagues. We haven't actually tasted the food, but it's fairly simple so we expect it will be fine. Plus it was nearly 50 kronor cheaper per person than nearly every other place we priced. Score! We still have to decide about desserts, and Martin and I are going to the café here in Flyinge on Friday to talk to the owner about cakes. If she doesn't work out, we have another option to check, or we can just have the dinner caterer do something simple like mousse and/or pannacotta. And today I talked to my printer guy and he offered to do the student poster for free. YAY! So nice!
The washing machine and the dryer, both of which were on the verge of breakdowns, have been staved off by ordering some replacement parts, though the one for the dryer was damned spendy. I am really glad we didn't have to replace the entire thing, though!
But the best part was that we got our tickets to the States for July at much less, nearly 10,000 SEK less (!) than I was expecting to spend AND with Lufthansa who are usually in the top most expensive airlines. VERY happy about that, though I've yet to hear whether my brother has succeeded in getting THEIR tickets. He was freaking out because the first time he checked prices, all he could find were tickets for $6000 (!!!) for the four of them. Karin immediately got on Momondo and started hunting better prices for him. We finally found that he had to either 1) move his dates or 2) move his destination. If he moves his dates and goes to Michigan earlier than we will, then my mom won't come to the East Coast with us (SUCK!). But at least he and his family will be there when we arrive in Michigan. We still have to figure out tickets back from Detroit to Boston (since our trip from Sweden is roundtrip to Boston, 2 hours from my sister) but we'll do that with one of the next paychecks.
We're planning a week with my sister in Avon, Connecticut and our good friends Kathey & Russell are joining us for most of that week: hurray! We've planned at least a day in NYC and a day in Boston and are now talking about what else we want to do (and what we want to do while in those two cities). Then we'll have three weeks in Michigan to visit family, friends and hang out. I can't wait!
Still to do: print and send the party invitations, design the poster, confirm the tent/table/chairs rental, hire a couple of Karin's friends for helpers, deal with decorations, decide on graduation present, figure out how to pay for graduation present, check whether Martin can use the suit he has or if we have to buy a new one along with good shoes.
If you can't guess, my recipe book project was put on the back burner. All I have left to do are the illustrations, and I've started those but it's slow going. Plus I've already got 2 more new recipes that I wish I had waited for. Doh! Cookbooks are never done, I guess. :D
Yesterday was the annual AWC media sale. It was kind of a bust for me: I didn't buy anything, though I did manage to get rid of half a bag of books. We had a fairly low turnout: only 18 people, and most of those didn't bring books to sell. There were also several people who didn't come at all, who usually do, because they didn't want to carry their books in to town only to have to cart their unsold items home again. Most years we are able to donate all our leftovers to a local international school who has a book sale in April. And I've always kindly offered to haul the leftovers for the club. But this year, the school moved up their sale to early March and refused our donations as "too early for next year, sorry". I didn't want to bring home a carload of books that I would have to hang on to for a year, either, or figure out how to unload them somewhere (partly because I think it's someone else's turn to deal with this, honestly!). No one figured out another alternative so the board was left with the option to tell people they had to take back what they didn't sell. Oh well, there's always next year, and I'll definitely convince the board to move up our sale if we can coincide with the school's by doing so.
Tonight I had a hair appointment and tomorrow is choir, after a break for Easter, so looking forward to that. :) And then it's Friday again already! Yippee skippy!